First is always special..... Yes My first blog.....
I had tried my hands at short stories for the first time......
I took the base of the story from one of my favourite blogger... unknown....
Letters of a denied life ….
Prologue
:
Letters
of a Telugu girl , who lives in Chicago , addressing to her father , who denied
her love to a Tamil boy . Yet leading an allegedly perfect life.
Some
Telugu and Tamil words used in between.
Dearest
Nana,
15th
December, 1977.
Hope
you all are doing fine. Me and Hari reached here safely. I am still not out of
the jet lag nana. It is biting frozen out here. Still “ayina chepthaaru “, I
have missed the killing snow ani. I would have loved watching snow. Yet I wish
I had not left Chennai nana. I miss you,
amma , Anu , Gauthami , my bestest friend pavithra ,todhunter nagar, ethiraj college , Gemini bridge , my
department, 23c bus . Ofcourse , Bala. I know you wished I hadn’t brought his
name here .
I
still remember, amma was trembling with fear , when I entered home that DAY. I
could sense the situation when I saw konkura pachadi on your plate had stained
amma’s venkatagiri saree. You were a manic that day. But I should agree , that
you gave me all genuine reasons for me to NOT marry Bala. Yes, Anu and Gauthami
would have been greatly affected by my ‘gaffe’ … but why at all you didn’t like Bala… I know Nana
, because he was not from Telugu speaking family , because he was dark skinned
, because his dad couldn’t impress you by showing off his prosperity and
property like OTHERS did.
On
the other hand, Hari was an engineer , dealing with computer thing , America
and importantly he was Potti Srinivasalu’s son Potti Harinarayana. These things
made you jump for this alliance. When this was happening .. How can even I imagine,
Natarajan’s son Balachander to Marry Dhalavai Narasimhalu ‘s daughter Shravani.
Atrocious ain’t it , nana?
Do
you know , that Bala could speak Telugu. He learnt it for ME. Flawless, he
speaks. Yet , he was Son of Natarajan , your long-time friend and not some lu’s
son. Leave that….It was a fantasy that I left midway in chennai!
Tell
Amma that I couldn’t try her “Pacha
Pappu Payasam” for Karthika Deepam , since
Jaggery is very expensive here, and Hari felt it was absurd. Anyhow, we went
out with Mukherji’s family. Mukherji‘s wife gave me a unfriendly look initially , I felt. She spoke English in an
accent that comes with living years in America. Hari was talking in his
confident butler English. Only after
coming here I learnt , he even speaks
telugu horribly . Horrible is an understatement. To camouflage it , maybe he
was talking all the time in broken English.
Ok.
Ask amma if she can send “annam podi’
and “chaaru podi” for this whole year?
Because only thing I get stimulated with is FOOD, nowadays. Hari’s friend Dhamu
is coming to Hyderabad next week and you can catch a charminar express to drop
it to him when he returns back. Please find picture postcards attached
herewith.
Your
Loving Daughter,
Shravani
Dear
Nana,
19th
June, 1979.
We
are doing fine. Ashwin started speaking his initial words. I bet, it sounded
like ‘ammumma’ but Hari claims it is gibberish. I am so happy to hear that Anu
is very happy and settled with her husband in Hyderabad. I spoke to her. Good
know? She has got a phone in her home. She told me that Pavithra also got
married and settled in Vellore. Please write her address to me. I want to keep
in touch nana , for her being the only person who knows how much I loved Bala.
I used to pester her 24*7 with Bala Puraanam.
Anu
also told me that Bala is married now. Somehow, I couldn’t take it. How Mean, I
am. I hear that his wife is his cousin. He should have complied with his
mothers wishes. I am happy that his wife is an engineer and not a stupid arts
graduate like I do.
How
did Ugadi go? I made ugadi pachadi. It was nice but I couldn’t get anywhere
near Mom’s one . Hari’s friends came home. I was about to offer them the
pachadi. Hari stopped me saying it was unhygienic. How can even a telugu guy exist
not knowing the significance of it? I wondered. I remember , how all us
couldn’t wait for amma to finish the pooja , for us to have the pachadi. There
was another soul waiting to taste that elixir on every ugadi day. That one also
expected me to say the significance of pachadi , every year. Puluppu , Karam ,
Chedhu, theepu kalisi vundedhe Jeevitham . Neither was he tired of hearing it nor was I of
telling.
Hari
is making sure that Ashwin grows up hearing English only. He feels that it will
make his life easier out here in Chicago. But I read Bharathiyar poems and
Kannadhasan lyrics to him. How meaningful are those! Thanks to you Nana. You
only advised me to read those TAMIL poems and listen to those sculptural tamil
songs lyrics of Kannadhasan. It gives me more deep meanings now than then.
One
of these days, ashwin gave an assuring smile and nodded when I read these lines
to him:
Aayiram
vaasal idhayam
Adhil
Aayiram Enangal udhayam
Yaaro
varuvaar yaaro Irupaar
Varu
vadhum Povadhum Theriyadhu
Oruvar
mattum kudiyirandhal
Ondrum
kavalaiillai
Ondrikka
ONDRU vandhaal
Endrum
amaidhi Illai………….
God
only knows if he understood the meaning of the sentence. Then, I saw YOU in Ashwin . I think even he will like the
tamil language like we do. You had so much love for that language. But why were
you not able to accept “My Tamil Magan “.I know… You would have horrified by
reading the “MY”. I couldn’t help it nana.
Ok.
I forgot to tell you something. Once, I was reading my most treasured book
“Arthamulla hindhu madham” , not just for Kannadhaasan but for the fact that it
was a gift from Bala. Hari saw his sculpturing signature encrypted on
the book. He asked me. I told him. Now, hold your breath… He was cool. He didn’t take it
seriously. Infact, he told me about his girlfriend named ‘Franciska’, they were
living-together during his college days it seems and somehow, decided not to
marry. That lady once came home. Nice lady she was.
Not
much details to furnish this time.
Please
make sure amma also writes some sentences in forthcoming letters. I envisage
all of you on touching the letters….
Yours
much much beloved,
Shravani
Dearest
Nana,
1st
November, 1981
I
hope you came out of the demise of your favourite people. Kannadhasan and
Natarajan uncle. October 17th
1981 was indeed a black day. Incredible know… both Kannadhasan and Kannadhasan’s
Daasan died on same day. Uncle definitely should have died because of sudden
grief over Kannadhasan’s death. You know Kannadhasan died just 20 minutes away
from my place. I yearned to rush to hospital , but in vein. Hari denied.
I
blasted out into crying that day , Nana. I claimed it was for Kannadhasan , but
actually for Natarajan uncle. What a Man he was!!!! Even now, he forms the
imagery of a father-in-law in my psyche. I remember calling him “Mavayya”
mentally when he passes along and get gratified, during those days. His starry
looks and face always reminded me of Bala. Not only that. I love that whole
family. Aunty.. the one who shares a special relationship with the our nagar
pillaiyar, Prabhu annayya .. stable and a calm person.. Uma (my sister-in-law
figure) akka…a self contented and an interesting person. They all in common
shared a quality .. Modesty… Did any of us think that there could be two
amazing doctors and one amazing engineer out of that so very simple and
composed family. All three of them have been beautifully reared up by those two
– uncle & aunty. I attach with everything around them Nana. Bala’s old
cycle , their blue umbrella , aunties bright yellow n red saree , uma akka’s
jean shirt , thanjavur n everything. Even Bala doesn’t know that I loved his
family so much. Tears rolling down… Awaiting your reply..
Your
Serene daughter,
Shravani
Dear
Nana,
12th
February , 1992.
We
all are doing fine here. We still are finding it very difficult to settle down
to this place after spending two months in Chennai. Ashwin and Ananya still ask
for kaaralu , booralu and antiaakku bojanam. All three of us had wonderful
time, but Hari is relieved only after reaching here.
I
got the present address of Bala. I wrote to him. He was extremely pleased to
hear from me after so long. I was very excited to know that Dr.Balachander was
a famous cardiologist in Chennai. I am proud that the first heart he researched
was mine. Virtually ofcourse (Sigh!!!). He called me. He asked whether I am still
practising music.. I could see a proud father in him when he claimed that his
daughters could sing “ RA RA VENU GOPA BALA”.. you know what he named his
daughters ..Shravani and Sampoorni. He still speaks in that flawless telugu.
Only after talking him to I realised , that once , was I a good singer. Why did
I leave my music unpractised? Because I left Chennai? No. Because I lost my
diehard Rasigan. Bala.
I
tried singing bomma bomma thaa… B’s
favourite. I couldn’t reach the very charanam not because of lack of practise.
But my throat was constrained and my eyes were filled with tears. I wish to
start practising music all over again nana. Do not forget to send me a shruthi box next time.
Nana
, Don’t get upset that I am still obsessed with Bala. Your daughter is matured
enough to realize the reality. It is too much to wish more than this. Husband -
an engineer.. an American life.. a comfortable income.. lovely children…. in
Indian societies perception.. perfect life know .I reiterate, Hari is a nice
man. He is to every bit a son-in-law YOU wanted. I am happy with my life.
To
gauthami , I referred a gynaecologist that Bala referred me. Ask her to go meet
her. Wish to hear a “good news” from her soon.
Yours
lovingly,
Shravani…
Dearest
Nana,
28th
December 1999.
We
are just back from our Europe tour. It was good. But I missed my music classes.
You believe nana.. I am making telugu, tamil , malayali , Bengali , hindi and
Spanish kids sing Telugu keerthanas so well… lovely kids are these..I am
feeling a reborn Shravani. Thanks to Bala.
Hari
bought a brand new portable computer in a new year sale that costed a bomb
shell. To catch up the price, he has arranged an informal exhibition at my
place. He is proclaiming that he is the
first one, in his friends circle and our relative circle, to buy a portable
computer. Not knowing the fact that Bala is having once since 1997. I couldn’t
state that to Hari , for all obvious reasons.
After
So so long , I saw Bala. He gave a courtesy visit , in middle of his tour to
uma akka’s and Prabhu annaya’s place. They are here too. My children and Hari
liked Bala so much. In fact ,they did most of the talking. He bought thoughtful
gifts for Hari , Ashwin , Ananya AND Of course for ME. He got me loads of
gifts… books , cassettes , silk saree , n my forgotten favourite sweet Dhandra
(Mango Jelly).
He
just looked like heightened version of
Natarajan uncle. So handsome he was. Just a snap of his presence in my
life made so much difference. What if……Sigh!!! I gifted back some electronics
items to his family and to him. I couldn’t be as thoughtful as he did. All
these years of America has eaten away my brain and creativity.
Happy
New Year and Happy Millennium!!!!
Yours
affectionately
Shravani
Dearest
Nana,
July
18th 2001
These
entire letters were lying in my closet draw. These were letters that I wrote
you and decided not to post though I was burning to. For, I didn’t want to
mention Bala to you. It is not that it
will invite your ferocity but because I, seriously, does not have a heart to
hurt you. I know that deep inside, you understand that Bala was a man of
matter. I heard that how bleak you looked when you entered Bala’s house for
Uncle’s death and how you had uncontrollable tears when you neared his body. BUT
WHY NANA. Societies scoffing … I know… Family Image… I know… Caste Difference..
I know. Your fear for all these illusions has costed me a life. You promised me
that day that I would have a perfect life. Is it with this monthly letters that
I send to you or with a materialistic person like Hari? I don’t think I ever
will get answered for I am addressing it
to Dhalavai Naramsimhalu (Late). But writing letters is all that I can do to vent out my agony over the death
of first two best men in my life.
Love
you NANA…
Your
ever loving daughter,
Shravani…
P.S:
I write this letter intentionally today as a birthday remembrance of Bala, who
left us six months back as he couldn’t survive a liver failure. God is
merciless.. Life is clueless!!!
DEDICATION
To
all the women, who had sacrificed their LOVEly life for the sake of their
families and still claiming that they lead a happy life. It’s NOT life. It’s
just a COMPROMISE for some and a yawning PAIN for rest.
super...epdi ipdilam think panra sis :) awesom, konjam tears :'( ne ways nice try :D
ReplyDeletethankkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Sahithya for sharing this amazing narrative.
ReplyDeleteYou are a very gifted writer.
Thanks Sahithya for sharing this amazing narrative.
ReplyDeleteYou are a very gifted writer.
Thanks Sahithya for sharing this amazing narrative.
ReplyDeleteYou are a very gifted writer.